Visa & Regulations

Visa Application
You may apply for your Chinese Visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in your home country. When applying for your visa, please remember to bring along with you your valid passport, the original copy of the university's admission notification and a Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (also known as the JW201/JW202 form). Do make sure that your letter of admission and JW202 form are handed back to you together with your passport after obtaining your Chinese visa. You will need these documents to apply for Residence Permit after your arrival in Nanjing.

International Students who will be studying in China for more than 6 months are required to obtain an ‘X1' Visa.


(1)The‘X1’ Visa will is only valid for 30 days after your arrival. You must apply for a Residence Permit within these 30 days.You would be otherwise considered staying illegally and heavily fined. 
(2) According to Chinese law and regulations, students with visa-free access cannot get any other valid visa within mainland China. PLEASE apply for X1/X2/L visa before you come to China.

It is not advisable to arrive way before the day of registration since you will not be able to apply for a Residence Permit prior to registration.


'X1' Visa Sample

 Students who will be studying in China for less than 6 months may apply for an ‘X2' Visa.

‘X2' Visa Sample




Sample of the Residence Permit


The student has to go to register your address at local police station within 24 hours of arrival and apply within thirty days of arrival for the residency permit to the local police authority.

Attention: Please bring your passport and address (copy of contract of renting an apartment outside of the campus if you have) in Nanjing and register at the local police station which your address belong to every time you apply or extend your residence permit or change your address in Nanjing. Otherwise you will break the law and be fined by the Public Security Bureau in Nanjing.


Coordinator for freshman: Mr. Tang              (office) 0086-25-52112687

Chinese student’s coordinator: Ms. Han           (office) 0086-25-52118826

1.     Kai Fa Qu police station near the Jiangning Campus or

2.    Rui Jin Road police station near Minggugong Campus



Medical Exam Centre

(Address: 1 Baixia Road, Nanjing)

(Requirements): No breakfast, bring passport, 2 passport color photos, original medical report from abroad (if you have), 430 RMB.

(The medical exam can only be taken from 8:30 to 12:00 a. m. from Monday to Friday. The result will come out on the third afternoon.)



Visa Office:           

Address: 173 Baixia Road, Nanjing


Application Documents for residence permit:

1.      Registration Form of Temporary Residence (you can get it at the local police station with your passport and address)

2.      Medical Exam Certificate of the student who apply for residence permit in Nanjing for more than one year.

3.      The certificate of residence permit application given by NUAA.

4.      Visa application for study in China (JW202 Form) for the student who apply for the residence permit in Nanjing for the first time.

5.      Application form (you can get it at the visa office)

6.      One color photo with white or light blue background in passport photo size.

7.      Copy of your passport’s photo page

8.      Copy of your latest visa or residence permit

9.      400 RMB for residence permit within one year.


(Your residence permit application documents can be given to the visa office from Monday to Saturday. Your passport will be taken back from Monday to Friday. Your passport will be kept in Nanjing visa office for 15 working days.)